This programme was developed to engage with pregnant mothers and partners from early pregnancy, enabling them to build techniques to support parents during pregnancy, birth and baby as it develops. It helps to educate parents in the techniques and skills required in promoting brain development and enabling the baby to reach their milestones. It enables parents to come together to enhance their skills as part of a supportive group and learning how to gain rewards for their parenting. It was developed by Clinical Psychologists and parenting experts drawing from their variety of knowledge, skills and experiences. It is underpinned by psychological and coaching techniques and linked to faith references. Skills are developed in sessions which are then encouraged to be practiced at home as well as during practical sessions in which we use dolls instead of babies.
Research suggests that children raised by loving, authoritative and responsive parenting styles will be better at building resilience and have less behaviour problems. Their parents also give their children confidence, a better sense of wellbeing and self-worth. Children who grow up with good quality relationships and with a secure attachment will have better cognitive development. Parents who learn how to bond with their baby, have good communication skills, can manage stress and have good problem-solving techniques are able to help their family to do the same. Parents over the 8-week programme learn the importance of how to be affectionate, merciful and calmer.
THE PROGRAMME COVERS:
- Adjustment to Parenthood
- How to develop a healthy relationship with your partner by establishing your family values
- Techniques to bond better with baby and promote your baby’s brain development
- Differentiate between baby blues and post – natal depression
- Develop a routine and structure as your child grows
- Coaching skills to be able to manage different fields
- Instigating parenting plans to stimulate a healthy and happy family